Soft foods are always easier and more comfortable to eat and are less likely to be caught in braces. However choices like gummies, fruit roll ups, taffy etc. will stick like glue!
If you/your child has just had their braces tightened, their mouth may be sore so providing pre-sliced fruit (thinly sliced), yogurt, pudding may be better options for these days.
Some other brace friendly suggestions:
- Banana slices, grape halves, and thinly cut (peeled) apples (dip them all in a bit of lemon juice to keep them from browning)
- Canned peaches or pears, fruit cocktail and Mandarin orange slices
- Applesauce or any of the mixed fruit “sauces” in individual servings
- Thin carrot-curls made with a scraper, plus a small container of grated cheese or hummus, with torn-up fresh pita bread for scooping
- Individual pudding and yogurt cups
- Avocadoes sliced or mashed
The goal is to be soft enough to chew, healthy and filling to keep their mind and teeth strong. Happy School Days!